Redeeming Waste: Waste as a Waste or Waste as a Resource?
Our purpose is summarised in our tagline: Redeeming Waste.
Where some see garbage in landfill, we see a valuable resource of untapped energy. We seek to redeem what was worthless, dead and buried, turning it into things of great value – energy, nutrients and water.
We can see how avoiding stockpiling waste today can have a range of community and environmental benefits now and for future generations.
Australia buries the equivalent of 2.65 million tonnes the equivalent of LNG every year.
Australia sends 13.8 million tonnes of domestic waste (MSW) to landfill each year, the energy equivalent of 2.65 million tonnes of Natural Gas being buried each year – that’s equivalent of 60 super tankers. That’s a huge waste.
Dispersed Waste Problems
- 1,297 landfill sites in operation
- 1,225 wastewater treatment plants
- Many other waste producing sites
- Every site is an emitter and potential polluter
- Every site is a potential source of energy and valuable products
- Solutions need to be local